The Miami Boat Show was not the only hip and happening thing in Miami last week. Farelogix held a Media Day! We had speakers, food, cocktails, and lively discussion from industry thought leaders Henry Harteveldt, Norm Rose, Montie Brewer, Andy Menkes, and Doug Lavin from IATA. They all provided perspectives, trends, predictions, antidotes, and tales of industry successes and woes.
Here are a few key points I walked away with:
- Consumers want choice when it comes to airline products. In fact, the more the better.
- The concept of democratizing ancillaries (i.e., allowing infrequent travelers the opportunity to purchase products and services normally only available to the elite travelers) is a good thing
- Traveler authenticated search and offer is the new normal, even if it is a deliberately anonymous request.
- Airlines must compete at each and every transaction.
- Mobile is not a channel, it’s everything.
- IATA’s NDC initiative is nothing more than a technology schema standard (developers roadmap) and optional workflow process where the distribution aggregator (yes, including the GDSs) makes a real-time offer request to the airline at the time of initial search (kind of like how the GDSs deal with a number of LCCs today).
And, oh, the product demos! Yes, they were our demos, but nevertheless, they were sensational!
We introduced and showed off our new Airline Commerce Gateway. We produced an array of real, live transactions (no PowerPoint or screen captures here) to demonstrate how airlines and travel agencies, and even GDSs will benefit when an airline implements the Airline Commerce Gateway powered by Farelogix. Read the rest of this entry »