Checklist for NDC "Single Source of Truth" Pricing
One of the visions for IATA’s New Distribution Capability (NDC) is the airline as the “single source of truth”. However, for an airline to control and create its own dynamically-priced offers across every channel requires new levels of performance, scalability, and flexibility not supported by conventional PSS or third party pricing engines.
Airline IT and Revenue Management executives at airlines around the world are scratching their heads as they consider what needs to be done to deliver on NDC, omni-channel dynamic pricing, and personalization. The problem? Most of the time, the airline’s incumbent shop/price provider (which may or may not be the airline’s PSS) cannot scale to accommodate high-volume search, and is limited to ATPCo-filed fares and ancillaries, and has no solution for real-time creation of an offer.
If this sounds familiar to you, then there is no better time than the present to explore the benefits of next generation shopping technology! But before investing in the time and expense of an RFP, consider this checklist as you embark on your search.
Checklist for Your Airline’s NDC-Aligned Shopping Engine
- Handles extremely extremely high volumes of search requests with millisecond response time, and with unlimited scalability.
- Supports large data sets, and calendar shopping without performance degradation or cost-prohibitive charges
- Supports NDC shopping including Affinity and Attribute shopping
- Includes a rules engine that integrates with any number of airline data sources to influence the offer (e.g. CRM, Frequent Traveler, Loyalty, Revenue Management)
- Gives airlines unlimited control to configure business rules, with any level of desired granularity (by market, channel, seasonality, equipment, traveler profile/FF, or even individual travelers)
- Supports ATPCO and non-ATPCO filed fares (i.e. fares created directly by the airline and/or based on bid price)
- Supports dynamic pricing without reliance on cache or costly PSS hits
- Provides optional engines for off-PSS Availability Calculation and Schedule-Building
- Runs on commodity hardware with unlimited scalability
- Includes an NDC API for delivery of the priced offer to any channel
- Is PSS-agnostic and fully under the airline’s control
In the interest of full transparency, Farelogix’ new FLX Shop & Price engine just happens to support all of these requirements, and we would be delighted to talk with you about it. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can answer any questions you may have.
Or, you might want to consider attending the industry’s first Control-Your-Offer Symposium, taking place in Miami April 5-6, where you can see NDC shopping and merchandising in action.
No matter what solution you choose, we wish you luck on your shopping trip!